Towards the end of 2010, I was wondering what I should focus on in 2011. I remembered the old saying from art school that the more you practice at drawing and art the better you become. So for 2011, I decided to start a personal project I call, “Drawing A Day“. Starting today January 1st, 2011, I will try to draw something each of the 365 days of the year. On 12/31/2011 if I haven’t missed any days, I should have a portfolio of 365 drawings. The rules I have given myself at quite simple:
- The artwork must be original in the sense that I drew it or took the picture. No traces, copies, and using other people’s work.
- Drawings can be hand drawn, colored, black & white, digital, or photo manipulation (as long as I took the photo).
- There is no limit to style or subject matter. (Personally, I will try to keep it Sci-Fi or Fantasy.)
- I must try to scan and post the picture the day it is drawn if possible. If I’m sick or have to travel I suspect this may not always be the case, but if I can I should make every effort to update my blog each day with a new drawing.
- Finally, the main rule is: Create a new work of art for each day of 2011.
For Day 1, I have just completed my first hand drawing of a Wizard. I wanted to do something old school so I just used a #2 pencil and colored the image with colored pencils. Something I’ve not done much in past.
Day 1 Drawing
So far I’m off to a good start as I have my first drawing. I drew a cartoon looking wizard as my first image and have him thinking about what is to come of this. 364 more drawing to go before I am complete. In the middle of all this I will also be writing a feature length screenplay, working out weekly and doing a lifestyle change to eat better. As well as, building a Chicken Coop and getting more Organic Backyard Gardening projects done. I’m setting to order everything for this year so that I at least have a game plan. At the end of 2010, I took a trip to visit family all over Texas and got to play a LARE (Live Action Role-playing Entertainment) game that I’ve been wanting to do for 5 years now called “MagiQuest“. I took a few pictures and will be posting a blog solely dedicated to my first experience playing the game in Grapevine, Texas. Keep checking back each day this year for a new pic each day. Most new updates will be posted towards the end of the day or whenever I’ve completed a new drawing.
All the images for this project can be found in the Drawing A Day 2011 Gallery from the link at the sidebar.